It's about exploring and sharing my creative adventures (mostly sewing these days) ~
~those activities that sometimes obsess, usually inspire, occasionally frustrate
~and always provide a delightful maze to wander through.

Friday, February 25, 2011

I will not build a Wadder...

At least, I haven't had a wadder yet.   I'm either lucky, or stubborn, but I will re-work something until it DOES work for me.   This one wasn't looking so good at first...
 
Ok ok, I know the collar isn't supposed to be worn like that....but here's the best I could get out of it:
 And this is after chopping 3" off the length of the cowl!

Here's what it's supposed to look like:
Now, in a thin little, very drapey knit, I suppose that cowl would look quite nice.  A 6" neck like the model has would help too.  (My fabric is a stretch cotton, bought online in one of those enticing hooks from fabricmart...you know the ones ~ "Spend THIS much & you'll save SO much more!  And a free box of something you may or may not ever use thrown in!!!"   Hey, I love feathers...the fabric has feathers....what could go wrong?

Actually, it IS very nice fabric.   But the colors on me?   Not so much.

However, back to my refusal to create a wadder...   I slashed off the cowl.   All of it.   This, of course, entailed unsewing all of the (already serged) seams around the shoulders & recutting them.
I'll cut the neckline lower still...I'm taking baby steps.   The color is still too pale for my taste though, so I looked through my stash for something else, & came up with a gingko leaf patterned cotton (which I LOVE); there's enough there for a neckband & wrist accent, so I think I can save this top.
It's a little not quite my style.  Yet.   But getting there.   Maybe.  Plus I'm trying to spiff up my wardrobe a bit & step outside my funky, casual, comfort zone...just a little.  I'm open to creative ideas.....

To be continued......

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow, that is quite a collar! It looks like you're making some definite progress on making it what you want it to be though. Good luck!

pegsewer said...

I love the idea of adding a different fabric around the neck!

Sharon Sews said...

I'm amazed at how large that cowl is! And you have much more patience than I - which is why you can not lay claim to a wadder. I like where you're headed with this one.

Jillybejoyful said...

Thanks all! It's getting there - I've done some more on it, ut I'm setting this aside for the moment while I focus on the mini-wardrobe.

I'll be back.......