Everyone who hates the new blogger two-word verification process please move over to that side of the room
And all who LIKE the new set-up, please move to the left
Yeah, that's what I thought....
A couple of things have come to my attention - some blogspot bloggers don't even realize that they have word verification turned on, because it doesn't appear when you are commenting on your own blog. And some bloggers who are using the new updated interface on Dashboard think that you can't turn the Word Verification (let's just call it WtF) off. Here's the good news: You CAN turn it off! You just need to switch (temporarily) over to the old interface in order to access the command. Here are the steps:
1. In Dashboard, click on the "Settings" icon (that's the gear in the upper right corner).
2. Click on "Old Blogger Interface" in the drop-down menu.
3. Click on "Settings"
4. Click on "Comments"
5. Scroll down until you see the option to "Show word verification for comments?" Check "no".
6. SAVE the new settings. (Important!)
You will see an option to change to the updated interface at the top of your screen - just click there to return to the new interface.
Reasons to keep the WtF:
1. Some people apparently get lots of spam w/o the WtF. I guess I've been lucky; the email associated with my blog gets very little spam (knock on wood!)
2. You really don't care for lots of comments, and like to watch people jump through hoops before they give up. (j/k......I'm SURE none of you lovely bloggers really do that!)
3. Ummm......I can't think of any other reasons, but feel free to enlighten me!
Reasons to NOT have WtF:
|no explanation needed here, methinks.....|
3. There are alternatives: you can opt to not receive comments from Anonymous posters, which can cut back on some of the spam, even though some perfectly lovely people won't be able to post unless they choose another option (like "Open ID", for instance), or you can choose Comment Moderation.
Personally, I prefer to leave everything as open and easy as possible, and hope that I won't feel the need to change that any time soon!
I hope this info helps someone out there - happy blogging, everyone :)