The Good News: OK, so I exaggerate a bit....I approached it with a "Yes, I Can Do" attitude, & in a little stroke of brilliance I realized that I could take a dart in the fabric, and place it so that I could disguise it with the Top Stitching - YES!
|The pinned dart (although it did get moved & adjusted after this pic)|
The Good News: Steaming and Pressing the sucker into submission appeared to be taming it!
The Bad News: I started topstitching (with walking foot) along the bias strip lines (I really wanted to be working with the expanding tan fabric on top, but in order to have the guide lines to work with, I really needed to start on the pieced side). Everything seemed to be going well, until I got to an area where the steaming & pressing just wasn't doing the trick. YARDS of excess fabric started appearing!!!! Well, OK, maybe it was inches, or perhaps it was really centimeters (I'll never, ever get centimeters & quarter inches figured out....which one is bigger?), but still. Way. Too. Much.
I went to bed.
The Good News: In another flash of inspiration, I realized that the excess fabric was all appearing right about where the pocket would be placed! I checked it today, and sure enough, it looks like I may be able to coax the folds underneath the pocket. :::whew:::
|If you biggify the pic, you may be able to see the dart (near the armhole at the top) |
and the thread tracing around the pocket edges. I think I can save it.....
I guess, when it comes down to it, it isn't really a Jilly Be project if it doesn't involve a couple of unexpected side trips along the journey...
The Good News to end with: No matter what, I'm committed to enjoying the journey! (side trips & all....)
Hope all of your unexpected side trips are pleasant and fulfilling!