Since everything I knew about bustles could fit through an eyelet on a corset, I had a bit of research to do. I had lots of fabulous fantasy pictures rolling around my brain, but construction-wise...hmmmmmm.... I nearly got permanently stalled at step one, how to do the waistband. Waistband? Hipband? Straight? Curved? Stretchy material? Stable? Would it fit over the corset or under it? Could I make something that could fit at either the waist or the hip? What kind of closure? Once I got through all of that (we decided to do a waistband that would fit over the corset), and I had the band made, the fun began!!!
And oh. my. Did I ever have fun with this!
I wanted to drape a base fabric from the waistband, and figured out how to do this by attaching strips of binding from the band:
|There's something just a tad obscene about this pic, |
but you have to start somewhere...
|Then attached the base fabric to the waistband|
|Next I just started draping and pinning and sewing and playing and planning...|
and generally staying up way too late having too much fun! :D
|It's starting to take shape..... (everything is just pinned at this point)|
And.....the completed Stella: (UPDATE: Egged on by a comment from Camryn - quote "More is more" /quote, I...welllll....added more :D. And tweaked a bit here and there, so I'm replacing the formerly finished Stella photos with the really (for now) finished Stella:
Eventually I will (hopefully!) have some pics of Stella being worn in full regalia. :D
Oh, and I've been talked in to making some more, too. Twisted my arm, really hard, she did (not). ;-D
Hope you're having fun, whatever you're "working" on in your creative space...... :-)