First it looked like a a cross between a hospital gown and a lab coat (the muslin did, anyway):
|Note the longer sleeve on my right - this was the already altered pattern.|
I shortened the sleeve, altered the shoulder, and took in the more than I already had - the result is on my left.
I thought this one had possibilities:
I sliced and diced the already oversized dimensions, and made a muslin, partly for fit, partly because I really wasn't sure I was going to like it at all. Once I finally thought I had the fit figured out, I decided to go for it, using a lovely blue raw silk that I originally intended as a lightweight robe for Mom. Not a shade I would have bought for myself, but now that I've lost the red hair, it turns out to be a fairly good color for me!
So I made up the shirt, and even though I still wasn't sure I was going to like it, I decided to focus on precision and good sewing habits.
Side note: I vowed that August was going to be Clip All My Threads Month, and I'm doing well on that! I find it interesting that focusing on one good habit seems to be spreading into other areas, and may have something to do with my decision to do A Good Job on this shirt.
In spite of my good intentions, Yesterday's post showed my first snafu, at the collar band:
And I was quite pleased with my underarm seams, where 4 angles had to meet at a point:
But there were other issues. (Aren't there ALWAYS?!) Once I had the basic shirt - the sleeveless version - put together it was looking more like a shapeless, rather boring yawn than a fun shirt with a twist. On top of which, in order to have any arm movement, the gap above the side seam exposed...ummm....way too much flesh and bra. WAY too much. So I decided I had to add sleeves. Very short sleeves. Once I did that all I could see when I looked at it was "camp shirt". Still, basically, one big yawn. (I should have taken pictures for proof!)
The next step in trying to make the shirt wearable was a silk-screening session. I used Marcy Tilton's "montage" design:
One other change I made was to add some tabs at the sleeve hems, pulling up a bit of a gather, and I think I finally eliminated the "camp shirt" vision. This blue, btw, is a perfect match for the blue in my Sham-alama-dingdong skirt, so I had an outfit in mind, even though I knew the style wasn't exactly a perfect match....but sometimes you just gotta do what you set out to do. Thankfully, I do have more of this material, so I'm going to look for a more suitable pattern to wear with the skirt. In the meantime, here's what I ended up with:
|I also shortened the front by quite a bit, |
and left the back long.