In my usual "How I Make Things" fashion, I wandered down an unknown path, with vague images of what the path might hold, and an even vaguer image of where I might end up. I had a bunch of nursery rhyme and fairy tale images printed up after adding a few words to each page, using a photo editor. Somehow I ended up not taking any pictures of this stage, so a shot of the iron and a couple of partial pages will have to do:
I thought through several options of finishing the page edges, and decided to use the cute little mousey and clothes-on-the-line fabrics as backing for each page. I simply sewed each printed page onto a backing page, RS together, leaving an opening to turn them WS together. After turning them I sewed around the edges with a decorative stitch.
In order to keep the fabric pages from slipping around, I also did a little bit of quilting around the main images (in beige thread, so you may have to biggify to see it):
On the front and back covers, I added some cotton batting in between the pages, giving the covers a bit more oomph:
|Inside Back Cover|
The words are a few nursery rhymes that I typed up, all run together,
followed by the story of "The Owl and the Pussycat" -
one of my all time faves :)
The last step was finishing off the ends of the twill tape. I cut them level with the book pages, except for the front and back pieces of twill. I folded these over each other, covering the (fray checked) edges of the other twill tape ends, and hand sewed them down.
The finished book: