I clipped the seam allowances from the interfacing on the pigskin, to reduce bulk - in retrospect, this may have been my first mistake (more on this later....you don't always see it coming with your first innocent misstep.....).
Actually, yesterday was "one of those days" from the get-go. My cat had a last minute vet visit (we're awaiting biopsy results) and I didn't get the cording for the piping until late afternoon, so the daytime sewing I was hoping for didn't happen. Making the piping, though, went smoothly.
Piping basted in place. So far, so good:
Next step, add the lining. Uh oh. This is where the problems started. Again, I was using the zipper foot, to get close to the piping seam. I mentioned in an earlier post that I had interfaced the leather because is was pretty stretchy. Pigskin, apparently, does have a grainline.....sort of.... and I tried to cut accordingly, with the maximum stretch on the crossgrain. As I was sewing the leather, piping, and lining, the skin was puckering in some areas, stretching in others, and creating a totally wonked out match with the lining. Did I mention that the lining is silk? A relatively thin silk? Probably something like a thin habotai? With no stretch at all?
Now, I've done this before - tried to marry a lining with minimal stretch to a fashion fabric with lots of stretch. I made it work (because that's what I do, whenever possible), but I swore I wouldn't try that again.
I thought I had taken care of the leather stretch with the interfacing. Nope. Especially not (I think) when I removed the SA from the interfacing. Here's what's happening at the bottom edge:
|The rounded flap is designed to fold over. |
Nothing is pressed, but even a good pressing won't solve the problem here
|And here's the problem: the bottom edge. |
See how the leather is folded over the lining?
I've already unpicked everything along that bottom edge once,
shortened the leather piece, & resewed, but it wasn't enough.
|Here's a better look at how the leather is folded over the lining,|
and see how MUCH lining fabric is extending out?
These pieces matched when I started!
Soooooo...... do I just undo the lining from the leather at the bottom edge & finish them separately? In which case, how do I ensure that the area of the lining that shows on the folded over flap stays smooth & nice-looking over time? Do I unpick this lining & use a more suitable fabric? Frankly, the main reason I chose this lining was the color match - these were all fabrics from my stash, & it just didn't even occur to me that leather & silk weren't going to play well with each other (picture me rolling my eyes, and really truly swearing to remember this lesson!!!!). I am willing to unpick everything & change out the lining if that's what it takes. I can be tenacious that way.
I still think this relationship has good possibilities - the attraction is, shall we say, a strong one. ;-) And I'm willing to take responsibility for my lack of forethought - going for looks over practicality, as it were - and make some changes. We're open to all suggestions!
Oh, & btw, while I was buying the cording I found the perfect button, and I have what I think is a fabulous idea for the buttonhole brewing in my brain. I do have hopes. :)
I'll leave you with the 'diamond in the rough' shot I took after laying out the cut pieces:
I hope your relationships are all moving along smoothly :)
Lynne was SO spot on with her analysis (in comments below). Here's a shot of the rounded front lining piece after I unpicked it, & laid it on the pattern piece: