Or so I thought.
Fast forward, several weeks later, and I am happy to announce that, at last, one (1) of the planned pieces is finished!
I needed a layered top for my "basklecloth" skirt, and had the perfect blue shade of silk noil in stash, but after one failed attempt at a match (the shirt was OK, just not paired with the skirt - wrong style totally), I decided a simpler pattern was in order, using the same fabric.
Nope. Didn't like it. At all. And yet.....once I removed the sleeves, I thought it would work very well indeed as a vest layered over a long sleeved shirt.
Marcy T silk screens that I thought would pair well with the skirt. (Can you tell yet that this is already turning into one of my classic change-directions-seventeen-times-in-the-process-of-making-it projects?)
While waiting for the silk screens, life busy-ness arrived, sewing mojo departed, and the vest just sat, threatening to turn into a UFO.
Until one day last week, when I was welcoming some energy and "spare" time, and used it to clean up the sewing space. One of my vintage ties had managed to plop itself on top of this vest, and little light bulbs started turning on..... I went through the tie stash, looking for something that would help marry the vest with the skirt, found one, draped it over the neckline, and ended up with this:
Anyway, I solved the wimpy hemline by adding a bias strip (ready-made, vintage from stash) along the edge, giving it some weight and a touch of interest with the strip of color. I meant to take more in-progress photos, but late-night sewing combined with forgetful mornings and, well, photos didn't happen.
The vest was almost there....just needed a little something else...... I did end up adding a few touches of silk screen after all, and here's the result:
1. I discovered, quite by accident, that you can squeeze the paint through from either side of the screen! It makes sense, but for some reason I had thought it wouldn't work. This is nice, because you can match reverse images if you want - yay!
2. Thick blobby paints are not so easy to work with. This also makes sense, but who has paint extender on hand when you need it? Oh, everyone but me? Well, it's on my shopping list now....
I'm starting to learn the concept that less is more, at least sometimes....
|Closeup of the tie and vintage button|
I removed the interfacing from both ends of the tie. The extra oomph was fine at the upper collar edge, but it was too bulky for all of the folds and twists at the ends.
The tie, by the way, is a Jerry Garcia design from the "Paris in the Rain" collection. I scored a batch of his ties at a thrift store, and love the fabric designs on them!
The finished vest being worn: :::Aside: Doing the happy dance because I FINALLY found my camera remote, after delaying this post for a week because it was lost:::
|Going for the "Yeah I'm short and I'm admitting it" look:|
Fully lined - self fabric on yoke, silk from stash on back & sides:Nomadic Traders Warehouse
I still have a lot of ties (and I'm looking for more) and a lot of ideas about how to use them. There are SO many upcycling possibilities out there....please please PLEASE keep me AWAY from the new fabric stores - I have enough!!!!
Oh, and btw, there are some rather fabulous entries in the PR Mini-Wardrobe contest - check them out! (and if you've been a member for over 90 days, you can vote for your faves)
Here's to wardrobes, clothes that match, orphans that find families, and upcycling! I welcome comments about any of the above - or anything else you feel like saying, for that matter... :)